Nick and everyone else,

Please accept my apologies if I hurt or insulted anyone feeling with my
blatant and clearly lack of knowledge and understanding. Please let me
elaborate:

I am an AIX system administrator not a programmer, although back on the
'70s I was heavily into assembler programming. I am trying to learn Ruby as
it appears to me kind of much simpler than other languages such as C, Java,
etc. I like simple and easy tools that can help me do my job more efficient.

My statement about "overkill" WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE FOR *Sinatra*. If you
perhaps *TomCat* was overkill for the simple thing that I wanted to do. I
started playing with *Sinatra* and I to find it simple and very easy to
learn and use.

As I stated on my original post, I want to create a simple web-based
application, which will be invoked from a browser.
I will read a file every second. The file contains certain information that
changes continuously, 24X7 from January 1 to December 31. This information
collection NEVER stops.

I have NEVER done anything web related, NEVER. Perhaps, due to my lack of
knowledge, I am not posting my question correctly.

I want:

   1. The user to fire up a browser pointing to my server URL
   2. My application will accept the request and send data to the user's
   browser
   3. My application will, every second, read the content of the file and
   get the new counters
   4. Display the new information, counter, on the browser WITHOUT THE USER
   HAVING TO REFRESH IT. In other words, I want to refresh the browser's
   content without user having to do anything. The new information must be
   continuously be updated and displayed.

As I said earlier, I did this using *Ruby/Shoes*, but this needs to be used
by a number of people and I would have to install Ruby and Shoes every
desktop that needs to use this Dashboard.

Someone suggested Javascript but I don't want to start learning yet another
programming tool when I think that Ruby and some web tool such as Sinatra
might be able to help me with this. *Rails* was also suggested. I am
probably still not making any sense!

I do want to thank you and others for all the answers already posted and
perhaps the ones to come.

Ruby Student

--
Ruby Student