I'm impressed you got that working. Interesting that the only benchmark
timsort beat was 10,000 in order...

The link I posted to timsort isn't the python implementation. I found
that from a stupid google search. Here is the real code as is in the
python source:
http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/default/Objects/listobject.c

So how did you do that?

ruby_qsort(RARRAY_PTR(tmp), len, sizeof(VALUE),
ruby_timsort(RARRAY_PTR(tmp), len, sizeof(VALUE)

Looks like you stuck a pointer into an array and the length (looks like
twice). That's all you had to do to get the python implementation
working in ruby?

from the ruby source, the quick sort function takes in 5 arguments.
ruby_qsort(void* base, const size_t nel, const size_t size, cmpfunc_t
*cmp, void *d)