I saved project I downloaded at /home/chamila/ruby/rr/ruby and compiled
it. Should I do that at /usr/local/bin ?

> I mean that the interpreter in /usr/bin (the one installed by
> debian/ubuntu) is not used if there is one in /usr/local/bin
> (installed by you). This is because, at least in default settings,
> /usr/local/bin appears before /usr/bin in PATH.
>
> If you want to be sure that you are not using the old interpreter,
> after you have done make install, remove the ubuntu package, as I
> already mentioned in a previous msg.
>
> In all cases, you may know what you are running by typing

when I tried ruby -v it gives the output as ruby 1.8.7.
which ruby gives output /usr/local/bin/ruby.
But when I run RUBY_VERSION in irb it gave 2.1.0 and irb successfully
execute  p %i{hurray huzzah whoop} which I couldn't executed using ruby.