Zeil Era <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> I think the maximum number of characters in user input ('gets') is 254.
> The input that I need to have is a piece of BBCode and it is longer
> than 254 characters. So my question is: is there any way to get longer
> user input, and if not, is there a way to get around this?

Seriously.

longstring = "x"*10_000
puts "length of longstring: #{longstring.size}"

File.open('/tmp/longfile.txt','w') do |f|
  f.puts longstring
end

File.open('/tmp/longfile.txt','r') do |f|
  longstringin = f.gets.chomp
  raise "strings are not the same!" unless longstring == longstringin
end

puts "same"

Output
======