So, basically, curl is getting a lot less data than Net::HTTP is
getting. I haven't delved into why this is so, but these are interesting
stats:

This is for the ruby version:

Total fetch time:  28 seconds.
Total fetch size:  1954452 bytes.

real	0m28.175s
user	0m0.224s
sys	0m0.020s

And this is for the PHP version:

Total fetch time:  18 seconds.
Total fetch bytes: 224888

real	0m18.077s
user	0m0.048s
sys	0m0.028s

Look at the difference in the amount of data transferred. Net::HTTP is
pulling in *eight times* as much data as curl is. Why is this the case?
That might be worth more investigation...

But also look at the differences shown; the algorithms themselves take
nearly no time, which is to be expected.

At any rate (haha, p.i.), you definitely can not make the case that ruby
is slower than php from this, as all the time is spent in transfer, not
execution.

P.S. "Mick": I had to clean up your PHP script a bit as it was tossing
warnings and notices all over. Your ruby script, OTOH, was flawless. I
did change a couple things in order to get the totals, but not the
fundamental algorithms.