Am 29.05.2013 23:57, schrieb Stu:
> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM,  <sto.mar / web.de> wrote:
>> Am 29.05.2013 20:47, schrieb Stu:
>>
>>> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Brandon Weaver <keystonelemur / gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>> I don't see why you would suggest anything "over ubuntu".
>>
>> Learning to program (or script) with Ruby has nothing to do
>> with the used operating system or (even less) Linux distro.

[...]
> By suggesting anything which may provide less "training wheels" per
> say I am merely recommending the OP to explore other options when they
> are comfortable with these new tools and operating systems.

[...]
> You may think that operating system level programming has nothing to
> do with ruby but I promise you there are many projects which focus on
> using ruby for such things (portupgrade/homebrew/rake). Ruby isn't
> just for web programming and is perfectly suitable for shell
> programming as well.

I'm very well aware of that. I use Ruby extensively for shell
programming under Ubuntu (and I do not use "training wheels").
I am forced to do my teaching on Windows, though, and yet
algorithmically it can (of course) get as complicated as you wish.

I don't see much value in recommending a change of OS (apart
from not using Windows...), especially to a beginner.

As a side note: I wouldn't recommend starting with metaprogramming
before there is a solid basis of Ruby and OO programming fundamentals.
I have seen enquiries about metaprogramming on this list by people
who couldn't even define the most simplest class, which I find
rather alarming...

--
<https://github.com/stomar/>