From: "Sean Russell" <ser / germane-software.com>
> As I mentioned, because I don't see an easy way of taking PP out of the
> classes.  Each object in REXML knows how to format itself for output
(OOP).
> If I take PP out of the classes, the amount of code will increase
> significantly, and it'll break the OO model.

How about implementing pretty printing via open classes.  Pretty printing
can be defined in a module that adds methods to the existing REXML document
classes.  The user can then include the module if they want to pretty print
XML.  Different pretty-printing schemes can be defined in different modules
and the user can include the one they prefer.  The only drawback would be if
different modules include different pretty printers -- that would cause name
clash and the last one included would get preference.

Cheers,
            Nat.
Dr. Nathaniel Pryce
B13media Ltd.
Studio 3a, Aberdeen Business Centre, 22/24 Highbury Grove, London, N5 2EA
http://www.b13media.com