On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM,  <sto.mar / web.de> wrote:
> Am 29.05.2013 20:47, schrieb Stu:
>
>> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Brandon Weaver <keystonelemur / gmail.com>
>> wrote:
> I don't see why you would suggest anything "over ubuntu".
>
> Learning to program (or script) with Ruby has nothing to do
> with the used operating system or (even less) Linux distro.

It was brought up in conversation in regards to pedagogy in the same
respect that grokking meta-programming concepts and algorithms in
contrast to using predefined higher order methods or external library
gem which may only teach the learner domains but not computational
logic.

By suggesting anything which may provide less "training wheels" per
say I am merely recommending the OP to explore other options when they
are comfortable with these new tools and operating systems.

The idea that the learner has "freedom" to choose how they skin the
cat is essential to their exploratory growth and cognitive development
which will position them to become great programmers if they choose
that as a career.

Finally FreeBSD and DragonFlyBSD both provide an excellent exploratory
environment to learn UNIX proper with minimal hand holding hence
leaving the end user the power to build upon such skills learned
beyond programming paradigms through grokking automata in an agnostic
low-leval/high-level mental process.

You may think that operating system level programming has nothing to
do with ruby but I promise you there are many projects which focus on
using ruby for such things (portupgrade/homebrew/rake). Ruby isn't
just for web programming and is perfectly suitable for shell
programming as well.

~Stu