James,

It sounds like you have a bigger problem here. Even without installing the
RDT, the SDK download of Eclipse build M5 should show you wizards for Java,
Plug-in Development, and Simple resources. Did you download the
eclipse-platform-20020416-win32.zip file? RDT is NOT dependent on the
Plug-in Development Environment (PDE) or the Java Development Tooling (JDT),
but I have not tried running RDT under the platform only download.

Eclipse allows a user to work with resources in a unified way. You must
inform eclipse of your desire to have it manage a resource by importing it
or creating it using eclipse. Wizards are provided that allow eclipse to
construct metadata about the resources that are brought into the eclipse
'Workspace'. Every resource in eclipse must be contained in a 'Project'.
Project's have natures. For example, a Project that contains Java code has a
Java Nature. This Nature and the information and tools provided by the JDT
allow eclipse to manage, build and run that Project in a way that will be
the same when eclipse becomes aware of Ruby. One of the tools provided by
the JDT is a Java Perspective. This Perspective provides 'Views', menus and
contexts that are Java Resource aware (the Packages Tree, Java Object
Outlines, etc..). The eclipse sdk ships with a CVS Repository Exploring
Perspective, a 'raw' Resource Perspective... Everyone should read more about
eclipse at www.eclipse.org. I think it will be well worth their time. There
may be a bit of a learning curve, but anyone who is familiar with the IBM
VisualAge products will feel right at home. Ruby is just another programming
language. Why reinvent the code management wheel?

I know, I know, Ruby is not 'just another language'.

Adam Williams
RoleModel Software, Inc.
The XP(tm) Software Studio(tm)
http://www.rolemodelsoftware.com