I am using ruby 2.0.0p195. I am, however, starting to think that
type-method is not defined for this version of ruby. I ran the below
expressions and I got values for the first two expressions but due to
the error caused by type-method I did not get values for the expressions
after the fourth expression. Please advise on why type is not being
recognized as a method in this version and how I can resolve this
problem.

expressions:

x = 10**6
puts x
puts x + 99
puts x.type
s = "EgoMania"
puts s.downcase
puts s.upcase
puts s.type
puts VERSION
^D

values:

1000000
1000099
-:4:in `<main>': undefined method `type' for 1000000:Fixnum
(NoMethodError)

Please also let me know if I need to make the question more clear, if
confused on what the problem is.

Thanks
nyaks