On 17 May 2002, Thorsten Haude wrote (more or less):
> there is no copyright as such in Germany.

Not true.  Germany is as bound by the Berne convention as
any other signatory nation.

> The author's rights are automatically given when the work is
> created; no special marker is required.

This is true, but a separate point.  Copyright exists *from the
act of authorship*.  This is also true in the UK. I expect it is
true in the USA, also.

The reason people in the UK and D bother to (c) <author's
name> <date> is because it makes it much easier to *assert*
the copyrights when the matter is under dispute, not because
it is strictly necessary in law.

Cheers,
     Euan
xlucid / users.sourceforge.net

'I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance,
Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance'
 - Ogden Nash