Hi folks,

I just got back from a trip.  Sorry for the delay.  There've been a lot of
good suggestions in this thread.

Sean O'Dell wrote:

> Why not just put it in its own module and give it a name that indicates
> it's definitely a very "flavored" sort of pretty printer?  Then, if
> someone comes along with an idea that conflicts with how pretty printing
> is done, just make another flavor of pretty printing in its own module.

As I mentioned, because I don't see an easy way of taking PP out of the
classes.  Each object in REXML knows how to format itself for output (OOP).
If I take PP out of the classes, the amount of code will increase
significantly, and it'll break the OO model.

I'm trying to think of a sort of "rules" mechanism WRT whitespace, where you
pass a set of formatting rules to write() and the objects use the rules to
format their output.

--- SER