Hi,

"Charles Hixson" wrote:
> Conrad Schneiker wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Andrew Hunt wrote:
> >
> > > On a side note, another axis of language comparisons might
> > > be something like "volatility", in the sense of "how bad do things
> > > get when I make a typo".
> > >
> > > On that axis, LaTex and C++ are very volatile (perhaps even chaotic?
:-)
> > > languages.
> >
> > Good ol' LaTex. Fragile tools, brittle systems, and passive-aggressive
> > software are terms that come to mind.
> >

> But LaTex is a cross-platform way of telling the data to print.  Ruby
> screen-paints via tcl, but how does one do formatted printing?  tex files
are
> the best answer that has yet occurred to me.

I don't know of a better solution. My experience with it was many years ago,
on an early PC port of LaTex, which may have compounded the usual infamous
problems involved when you can't avoid having to tweak stuff. Under those
conditions, I just found doing a couple of hundred pages of text in it to be
about as much fun as driving on ice, down hill, during rush hour.

Conrad