On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com> wro=
te:

> On Apr 22, 2013, at 06:52 , Jes=FAs Gabriel y Gal=E1n <jgabrielygalan@gma=
il.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM, shaik farooq <lists / ruby-forum.com> wro=
te:
>>> HEY as we know that the object conatins the instance variables that are
>>> defined in the class
>>
>> In statically typed languages, you have to declare the types of
>> variables. Instance variables are one example, and are defined in the
>> class typically.
>
> This has nothing to do with static typing vs dynamic typing as it isn't a=
 typing issue. Smalltalk is dynamically typed and you have to declare the i=
nstance variables for a class at class definition time. You don't declare t=
he _types_, just the names. This makes ivar access in smalltalk much faster=
 than ivar access in ruby (array offset vs hash lookup).

Sorry for the confusion. From my (obviously limited) knowledge of
languages I thought that was a general rule. Let's change that then to
"in Ruby, you don't declare variables...".

Thanks for the correction.

Jesus.