On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Nobuyoshi Nakada <lists / ruby-forum.com>wrote:

Xavier Noria wrote in post #1106724:
> > I believed ordinary variables had to be valid identifiers.
>
> Yes, it was a valid identifier, till now.

I mean, I believed that ordinary variables (the ones a user can define,
different from special-cased globals), had to have a valid identifier
following the dollar sign. I don't know, you can't assign to $| for example.

Or is that $- was special-cased by the parser as a side-effect, but still
had no special meaning so it was at the disposal of the user?