In my Ruby scripting, there is probably no greater and chronic source of
irritation than way it copies files (something I do all the time).  Most
of the time, I just fall back on a system command like `cp file1 file2`
because Fileutils.cp is so intransigent about syntax.

My problem is this.  The script users enter a file name and a pathway as
follows:

pathName = "some_pathway"
fileName = "some_filename"

I simply want to copy that file to another directory.  What syntax do I
need for Fileutils to copy the blasted file and quit issuing a billion
exceptions?

Intuitively, I'd say this should work:

    Fileutils.cp( some_pathway+'/fileName', destDir )

Nope, it doesn't like fileName.  OK, I'll protect it:

    Fileutils.cp( some_pathway+'/#{fileName}', destDir )

Nope.  OK, then:

    Fileutils.cp( some_pathway+'/"#{fileName}'", destDir )

Nope.

(Try this another 50 ways, having it fail every time).

What am I doing wrong?  Ruby is almost universally intuitive, but this
is one situation that makes me pull my hair out...