When you require a file, it looks through an array of directories (called
the $LOAD_PATH) until it finds that file. In older rubies, the current
directory (represented with a period) was in the load path, in newer
rubies, it was removed.

The simple solution to your problem, in IRB, is to run irb like this `irb
-I .` (that's a capitol "i") which will add the current working directory
back into the load path, like it is on the Lynda.com version.

When you get to writing programs that depend on this, you can use
require_relative instead of require. When you get to writing real programs,
you'll need to learn and understand the load path. When you get that far,
read the section about the load path from here
http://guides.rubygems.org/patterns/

-Josh

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Gouverneur Cadwalader <lists / ruby-forum.com