On Sat, 6 Apr 2013, Hans Mackowiak wrote:

> Matt Lawrence wrote in post #1104625:
>> On Sat, 6 Apr 2013, D. Deryl Downey wrote:
>>
>>> Actually its not wrong. What it does is explicitly state which ruby
>>> interpreter to use rather than using env to determine by finding the first
>>> one in the path. His way in no way shape or form is wrong provided that
>>> ruby actually lives there.
>>
>> As and operations person, I will point out that using
>> #!/usr/bin/env ruby
>> is a really, really bad idea for a production system.
>
> or on the other hand, when #!/usr/bin/ruby is used in a gem, users gets
> problems because it does not work with rbenv, rvm or /usr/local builded
> ruby, env can be easier changed, even in a production system

No, it can't.  Been there, done that.  Most developers are really smart
and are very good at solving problems when they arise.  That's a terrible
way to run production, avoiding problems is the way to have a stable
environment.  Like I said, use env and you should be on the hook for the
rest of your life for any issues that occur.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.