On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Josh Cheek <josh.cheek / gmail.com> wrote:

> I rarely want to expose either. In my code example, why can I call
> `self.count=` but not `self.count` ?

It's a hack, because setters require you to use "self.count=" syntax,
whereas you can just call a getter with "count"

Since there's no way to call a private setter except "self.count=", Ruby
permits "self" as a receiver for this even if it's a private method.

Clearly the more consistent thing to do would be for private methods to
always permit "self" as a receiver. It's a bit odd Ruby doesn't allow this,
IMO

--
Tony Arcieri