On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM, Steve Jarvis <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is my first post (long time lurker)
>
> Is anyone aware of a compatible library to python's "pexpect"?

Does that something like Ruby's IO#expect?

irb(main):001:0> IO.instance_method :expect
NameError: undefined method `expect' for class `IO'
        from (irb):1:in `instance_method'
        from (irb):1
        from /usr/bin/irb:12:in `<main>'
irb(main):002:0> require 'expect'
=> true
irb(main):003:0> IO.instance_method :expect
=> #<UnboundMethod: IO#expect>

$ ri -T IO#expect
IO#expect

(from ruby core)
  expect(pat,timeout=9999999) { |result| ... }

Reads from the IO until pattern pat matches or the timeout is
over. It returns an array with the read buffer, followed by the matches. If a
block is given, the result is yielded to the block and returns nil.

The optional timeout parameter defines, in seconds, the total time to wait for
the pattern.  If the timeout expires or eof is found, nil is returned or
yielded.  However, the buffer in a timeout session is kept for the next expect
call.  The default timeout is 9999999 seconds.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/