On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Syed H. <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> def get_entry_count(type)
>       controls = (type.nil?)? nil : get_list_entries_container(type)
>       retVal = 0
>       unless (controls.nil?)
>          retVal = controls.length
>       else
>          retVal = puts "Unable to find list entries for table of:
> #{type}"
>       end
>       return retVal
>    end

Aslo, Syed, I hope you don't mind, I'd like to offer something a
little cleaner? You can surely reject this if you want.. You may not
like early returns, which it seems your code is going out of it's way
to avoid. I think they make clearer code in some cases.

def get_entry_count(type)
  return if type.nil? # you /might/ consider raising an exception if
this isn't supposed to happen?
  controls = get_list_entries_container(type)
  return controls.cells.count unless controls.nil?
  puts "Unable to find list entries for table of type #{type}"
  0
end