Hi Andrew,

Once you're up and running (either in Rails or pure Ruby) and are far
enough along that you're writing small scripts, you'll possibly want to
dig into Hash more:

http://ruby-doc.org/core-1.9.3/Hash.html

At some point in your code, you'd have something like:

@tools = {}
Some loop
   # (Read in info)
   @tools[toolID] = SomeClass.new id, name, employeeID, location
end

And for lookup:

tool = @tools[toolID]

You'd also need to handle saving, loading, etc.

However, looking at your mockup image, if you're after a GUI as well,
you might actually be better off going down the Rails path first. This
will handle the GUI aspect (if you're fine with a web app), as well as
using a proper database (you won't need to worry about writing your own
load/save, but you'll need to set up a database). You could still do
this in pure Ruby of course, but it would probably take far longer,
especially if you were just starting out.

Also, re Windows, yes, Ruby runs on Windows, and if you used Rails, you
could always use a browser on Windows to access the finished product.
You'd have to ask a Rails guru how well it runs directly under Windows-
I don't know- but there seems to be a Windows download at least.

Unfortunately, I can't help much on the Rails front personally.

It looks like you have a big task in front of you. I wish you luck.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Garth