Dave Thomas <Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> wrote in message ...

> I want to see more people do what we're doing and opening up their
> Ruby books. However, this relies on the good will of publishers.
> Publishers are in the IP business, and live by copyright laws and
> licenses. If they get the impression that open licenses are not
> respected by the communities they're trying to serve, then I can see
> that Programming Ruby may well be the last OPL book released by
> Addison Wesley, and that would be a shame.

I would suggest you encourage AWL to use the license options provided
by the OPL next time. Although the GNU folks will blame them as non
free I think they are a good compromise respecting the rights of the
publishers just as serving the interests of the communities. I think
these options are a good opportunity for publishers to spread the work
free (or relatively free) and to earn money by selling it at the same
time. It sounds a bit like "Having the cake and eat it" to me. I would
appriciate such a solution.

Regards
Juergen Katins