This limitation doesn't exist in JRuby (I'm not sure about the other
implementations).

I imagine that the guys from MRI team want to remove the Global
Interpreter/VM lock, but from what I've read it isn't something trivial.
I'd love to be able to help, but I don't know enough (yet). :(

-----
Carlos Agarie
Skype: carlos.agarie

Control engineering
Polytechnic School, University of S=E3o Paulo, Brazil
Computer engineering
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, USA