Dear Dave
Being three years old my daughter will still stay at home for a long
time. But I am aware of the day our baby will leave home to discover
the wild world, to visit foreign countries and to make new friends we
will never set our eyes on.
Your baby is leaving home now!

Dave Thomas <Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> wrote in message ...>
>juergen.katins / epost.de (Juergen Katins) writes:
>
> > I am no license expert but I understand the OPL as "Do whatever you
> > want with this document".
> I want to go on record as objecting to this.

You are right. I think I did put it into too drastical words. You
can't do anything with the document, but you can do a lot. You can
even change it until it is unrecognizable as long as you mark the
changed parts. Of course I didn't do that. I struck as close to the
original as I could.

> At the same time I'm also concerned about the change of copyright
> holder.  By changing the copyright holder, we're basically losing
> control of the license (as has just happened).

I didn't change the copyright. If you might wish to look into any
desired translation you will find two copyright notes: one for the
original and one for the translation. It is uncommonly for the
translator to appear as copyright holder because in most cases he was
commissioned by some sort of editor who will appear as copyright
holder himself. It must be hurtful for you to see a different name and
not your own as copyright holder at the bottom of each html page but
you know the reason: you sold your copyright to AWL and I didnt get
paid anyway.
I also want to state that there are actually thousands of copyright
free works being translated every year and each of this translations
get the protection of a copyright of its own. There are many authors
being dead long enough to let their copyright expire, their works are
free but translations of their work gain a copyright of their own. And
that is good practice as translating is a hard (and creative) work.
But I will change the order of the copyright notes, yours (or AWLs)
being the first and mine being the second with the appendix "for the
german translation".

> I have asked privately for the license to be changed to the OPL, now
> I'm asking publicly.

Being the copyright holder I decided to publish my translation under a
different licence for the following reasons:
I hope that my translation could become part of other free projects. I
think it could be useful to projects like FreeRIDE or Kdevelop. Both
projects come with GNU Public Licence and I thought it a good idea to
use an associated licence.
But the main reason is this:
I did want to avoid just the same difficulties Dave is struggling with
now! I changed to the more restrictive GPDL to garantee my translation
and any derived works to stay free. If my translation should be
retranslated and return to the USA that returning version will be a
free one. I visualize the bad example of "Addison-Wesley Verlag"
Germany publishing their translation under totally closed licence. I
absolutely dont want to let something like that happen with my
translation.

Dear Dave
Your baby is leaving home now but you must not worry. We all will take
care of it.
Letting it go you give it the chance to prosper and to grow and to
become something great we all can't imagine yet.

Regards

Juergen Katins