Hi,

Quite well, but of course, there are some limitations in
the current version. Not as good as SIP/PyQt for instance
(mainly it is difficult to override constructors and
virtual methods).

> I've done a lot of Windows GUI work, but I'm a newcomer to Linux GUI
> programming (haven't actually done a single one yet).  I'm pretty sold
> on going with Qt from here on out, but before I had considered Qt, I was
> already considering doing my basic GUI work (the support level I call
> it) in Ruby, and calling C++ to do the core work.  Actually, I was going
> start the application in C++, then load the Ruby bindings to handle the
> fluffy user stuff (windows, menus, help, etc.), then on certain events,
> the Ruby code would sometimes call back into the C++ application.
>
> My reasoning is, once the application framework is set up, doing things
> this way would allow me to protoype new features quickly and then I
> could move my Ruby prototype code back into C++ for efficiency and
> better integration with the rest of the application.

You can safely mix C++ and Ruby, for sure.

> I did this a lot with Delphi, putting most of the application into a
> DLL, using Delphi for fluffy user stuff and prototyping, but moving code
> into the DLL as I went along.  Worked pretty well.
>
> Now I'm considering using Ruby for that user/prototyping part.  One of
> my requirements/goals is that the UI toolkit go between X11 and Windows
> fairly easily.  Maybe even Mac OS X.  Qt seems like the best route to
> try that.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on Ruby/Qt?

The bindings for Qt3 are still not available, but several people are
working on it.

Check also the Ruby/Qt group on Yahoo.

-- Christian