Private methods are methods defined in a class that only instances of that
class can see and use.

Singleton methods are methods added on to an individual instance that
other instances of the same class will not have. Only THAT instance will
have that method. (You can even define a singleton on a class, but the
*instances* of that class won't have the singleton method added. It
applies to that class (which if you know ruby you know a class is also an
object in its own right) object only.