Hi,

* Dave Thomas <Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> [02-05-16 14:16]:
>I want to go on record as objecting to this. I don't know about the
>legality of changing the license: it strikes me as being wrong, in
>that by doing so the original license holder has potentially lost
>rights.  My interpretation of the OPL is that it works like the GPL:
>the original owner gets to set the licensing terms
>
>     The Open Publication works may be reproduced and distributed in
>     whole or in part, in any medium physical or electronic, provided
>     that the terms of this license are adhered to, and that this
>     license or an incorporation of it by reference (with any options
>     elected by the author(s) and/or publisher) is displayed in the
>     reproduction.
The GPL certainly does a better job if your interpretation is right:
    2 b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that
    in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.

If you want to abuse the OPL, you just *adhere* to it by *displaying*
it. After that, you put the work under your own licence.

>At the same time I'm also concerned about the change of copyright
>holder.  By changing the copyright holder, we're basically losing
>control of the license (as has just happened).
No; you are the copyright holder of the original. The translator is
the copyright holder of the translation. What's more, there is no
copyright as such in Germany. The author's rights are automatically
given when the work is created; no special marker is required.

>Say I take the Linux kernel source and ROT13 the variable names. Could
>I then remove Linus's copyright and make the code my own?  I suspect
>not. I'm surprised that the act of translating allows someone to do
>that with a book.
A translation is certainly a much greater effort than ROT13.

While talking about the book: Very good work!

Thorsten
--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President
should on no account be allowed to do the job.