Subject: Re: Does this specific sound library exist?
	Date: ven 01 mar 13 01:56:50 +0900

Quoting Dirk Vogel (lists / ruby-forum.com):

> (So just to be clear: one *could* program also without a widget toolkit,
> but it would mean a lot of additional work because they'd have to
> program from scratch all those buttons, sliders and other graphical
> elements we're used to get from the GUI builder. Right?)

Yes you can: below the hood you will always find that level. But
drawing is not the largest part of the work: the elements of the UI
must receive information (either from your program or from the user)
and generate events, which must be acted upon. This exchange has to
happen as smoothly as possible from the point of view of the user. It
is under this aspect that the various user interfaces differ most:
every UI designer started with different ideas on how best to provide
the service.

> I didn't mean "RubyMine", but
> "RubyMotion". There, it seems, they're trying to make a bridge between
> Ruby and iOS. Is this to be seen as the Ruboto initiative?

As I mentioned in another recent thread, I am too poor to own anything
made by Apple. A couple of times I had to dabble with a Mac for
work-related reasons, but both times I put Linux on it. Thus, I cannot
share my experience.

I heard that iOS and MacOS are much more homogeneous than Linux and
Android, from the application programmer's point of view. Macruby is
an Objective-C implementation, so it has to be directly in contact
with the OS internals. RubyMotion must be a nifty tool for generating
iOS apps.

But of one thing I am certain: the RubyMotion developers have NO
interest in making it easier for you to develop Android apps.

> I thought that I wouldn't even been touched by the level of "How do
> I handle the DAC chip", let alone by questions like "How do I set
> parameters of this or that specific chip and make sure that it's fed
> 44100 times per second with a sample". But if I understand your
> point right, I have to face somehow these very problems if I am to
> try and cover several platforms. I find this astonishing.

Everyone who invests in knowledge, time, and maybe money, on a
specific platform, will then try, more or less gently, to steer you
towards that platform. Nobody in the market is concretely interested
in the "One UI to rule them all" ideal, unless the UI is their own
adopted one. Knowledge is power...

> For what it's worth, neither I feel enthusiastic about covering several
> platforms. My problem is that all my computer experience since 1992 is
> connected to Apple Macintosh.

I have several friends in the same situation. It was most astonishing
for me to follow Mac followers as they obediently followed Steve
as he did that complete somersault from Os9 to OsX.

> If I'd used Windows for 20 years, I probably would try to program
> for Windows and Windows Mobile, telling myself that in doing so I
> cover a big part of computer users, and who cares about the rest.

Probably not; 20-year Window users have a different profile...

> But now I'd feel uneasy to cut out MacOS and iOS, and Android seems
> to be the future of all those handheld devices. So all this becomes
> a very hard decision. Even if you show me that I'd have to choose
> one platform for my project because it'll be really difficult for me
> to entertain other OSes as well, I would not know which one to
> choose. Entertaining two or even more codebases on top of learning
> the belonging languages and IDEs / widget toolkits is definitely
> beyond my resources.

That's why I suggest that you do not follow the multiple-platform
goal. If you have a good idea, the best you can do is try to prove the
pudding. While focusing on MacOS/iOS will not cover the large slice of
potential users that you dream of reaching, it may reach enough of
them anyway. In the process, you will learn a lot. Most important: you
will learn if your idea is feasible.

MacRuby, from what I read, is comfortably solid, and if you can afford
RubyMotion (I have no idea about the costs), you will most probably
find a gentle enough path to exploring this world. Most important, due
to the kind of public who chooses Apple products, I believe the
media-related part should have been given proper attention.

Enjoy!

Carlo