On Thu 16 May 2002 at 21:16:36 +0900, Dave Thomas wrote:

> Say I take the Linux kernel source and ROT13 the variable names. Could
> I then remove Linus's copyright and make the code my own?  I suspect
> not. I'm surprised that the act of translating allows someone to do
> that with a book.

That's not the case, as far as my understanding of copyright law goes
(which isn't far, but I do have a passing interest).

Poor writers have been known to take the plots of novels in foreign
languages and reuse them wholesale in English (or vice versa),
basically by just translating the book. A plagiarism lawsuit usually
ensues.

Translation does not a new work make. I'm pretty sure copyright law is
on your side here, Dave, but you should consult an expert.

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | This is NOT a repeat.
ian / caliban.org             |