juergen.katins / epost.de (Juergen Katins) writes:

> Kent Dahl <kentda / stud.ntnu.no> wrote in message news:<3CE2CA05.E553A3B0 / stud.ntnu.no>...
> > Something completely unrelated: I was abit surprised by the license on
> > the translation. Does the OPL allow this transition to a GNU Free
> > Documentation License?
>
> I am no license expert but I understand the OPL as "Do whatever you
> want with this document". You could even redistribute it as part of
> a non free book. Even more the translation of a book creates an own
> new copyright owned by the translator (who must however have the
> license to translate).

I want to go on record as objecting to this. I don't know about the
legality of changing the license: it strikes me as being wrong, in
that by doing so the original license holder has potentially lost
rights.  My interpretation of the OPL is that it works like the GPL:
the original owner gets to set the licensing terms

     The Open Publication works may be reproduced and distributed in
     whole or in part, in any medium physical or electronic, provided
     that the terms of this license are adhered to, and that this
     license or an incorporation of it by reference (with any options
     elected by the author(s) and/or publisher) is displayed in the
     reproduction.

The OPL does not say "do what you want with this material," any more
than the GPL does.

I have asked privately for the license to be changed to the OPL, now
I'm asking publicly.

At the same time I'm also concerned about the change of copyright
holder.  By changing the copyright holder, we're basically losing
control of the license (as has just happened).

Say I take the Linux kernel source and ROT13 the variable names. Could
I then remove Linus's copyright and make the code my own?  I suspect
not. I'm surprised that the act of translating allows someone to do
that with a book.

If someone can definitively say that this is acceptable practice, then
clearly Hr Katins can do what he wants. However, if there is any
doubt, then I'd really like the copyright to remain unchanged as well.

Regards

Dave