Tobias Reif wrote:

> Still looks ugly to me. There's no agreement to be reached; it's about
> taste (*pretty* printing).

Ok, howz this:

Default behavior: No pretty printing.  Preserves everything.  Same thing as
happens now.

Pretty-printing mode 1: Default pretty printing.  Introduces spaces, but as
I've outlined a bajillion times in this list already.  Makes Tobias happy.

Pretty-printing mode 2: Ahhh... another argument to write().  Uses Bob's
mechanism and puts the whitespace within the tags.  Allows for transitive
processing while pretty printing, at the expense of increasing the size of
the XML (although no more than regular PP).

Pretty-printing mode 3: Someone will certainly find all of these
insufficient, and will ask for YAPP.

I'm not seeing an immediate, easy, efficient way of externalizing pretty
printing, or I'd do it with a Visitor pattern... if anybody has any ideas,
feel free to send them to me. And CC me via email, because ideas posted to
this list get lost.  Well, /I/ lose them.

--- SER