I'm busy rewriting expect.rb to handle things in bigger chunks. I'm
using it on a slow '486 driving 7 different hardware things lurking at the
end of 7 serial ports. I'm rewriting expect to use one Thread, and a
single select for all ports and sysread instead of getch.

Things are progressing quite well except when things go wrong in a Thread,
then all I know about it is something doesn't work. No error message,
stack trace nothing.

Is there a way of convincing ruby to do like Java...
 try {
   // something that may die messily
   .
   .
 } catch (Exeception e) {
   e.printStackTrace();
 }

New Zealand

May contain traces of nuts. This email was packed by mass, not
volume. Contents may have settled during distribution.
This email is not designed or intended for use in on-line control of
aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or in
the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear
facility. Reader represents and warrants that it will not use or
redistribute the email for such purposes.