matz / ruby-lang.org (Yukihiro Matsumoto) wrote in message news:<1021420866.482287.20110.nullmailer / picachu.netlab.jp>...
> Hi,
>
> In message "More embedding fun!"
>     on 02/05/15, Jeff Ward <wardja / jmu.edu> writes:
>
> |Long story short:  Can I have a variable not registered with the garbage
> |collector, then reregister it with the collector later (e.g. when I'm
> |done with the object)?  I know I can call rb_global_variable to get
> |register it, but is there something to get it out of the garbage
> |collector?  Or increase the reference count?  Thanks.
>
> rb_gc_unregister_address().  See gc.c
>
> 							matz.

The plot thickens!  The object is being marked as part of a scope
object, so it's being ignored by my rb_gc_unregister_address() call.
I tried making it a global, but the scope version still exsists and is
causing my program to crash out when it gets marked.  Any way around
this?  Can I call .new() on an object without it entering local scope?