Thanks for the advice and examples, I'll see whether I can understand
how the classes and methods work with each other there and set about
experimenting with them.

Once thing which put me off generating a custom class "from scratch" is
that Array appears to be equal to its content (I assume this is a
language shortcut), but it seems "custom" objects' values have to be
accessed via their accessors.
I was hoping for some more succinct syntax than this sort of thing:
puts [] #Array is so easy to create
puts CustomObject.new([]).value #This looks clunky next to that

I'd love to get accustomed proper OO thinking, but I'll inevitably make
all the rookie mistakes in the process. It's a lot to get used to all at
once given that I've been using Ruby for less than a year, and I have no
training other than helpful hints and googling. Thanks again for your
patience.