On Tuesday 12 February 2013 Carlo E. Prelz wrote
> 	Subject: Re: The "ruby way" to do desktop applications?
> 	Date: mar 12 feb 13 12:29:45 +0900
>
> Quoting guirec c. (lists / ruby-forum.com):
> > For exemple, I want to create an application to manage a small business.
> > I want to store contacts, products and bills. I need a simple interface.
> > Nothing very complicated but I need a clean and pretty interface. I can
> > build it with Swing, in Java.
> >
> > In this case which tool can I use? Is it better to build a local web
> > application?
>
> This is a bit of a weak point in Ruby. The GUI that has been included
> in Ruby from the beginning is Tcl/TK. One tutorial is this:
>
> http://rubylearning.com/satishtalim/ruby_tk_tutorial.html
>
> Sadly, TK is a bit lame. It may be perfect for your application, but
> it is far from flashy.
>
> In the Linux world, two GUI libraries are mainly used: Gtk and
> QT. About QT I can't tell you much - it is in C++ and I do not like
> its esthetics, so I always kept clear. I know there are bindings for
> Ruby.

I like Qt very much instead. The bindings are quite complete and there's a gem
for it called qtbindings. I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think you
have to install the Qt library itself (http://qt-project.org/downloads, mind
to download the 4.8 version not the 5.0 one), before installing the gem.

The only drawbacks of these bindings is that they keep a bit too much of the
C++ approach and that there isn't specific documentation for the ruby version.
They closely follow the C++ API, though, so you can use that
(http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/classes.html) as reference.

Stefano