On 2002.05.16, Sean Russell <ser / germane-software.com> wrote:
> Hmmm?  This doesn't produce an identical document, either, because it adds
> whitespace which isn't ignored.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-white-space
> "An XML processor must always pass all characters in a document that are not
> markup through to the application."
[...]
> so no matter how you cut it, you're still adding whitespace that wasn't in
> the original document.

Yup.  I realized that in the reply I sent privately to you.

> > I'll have to grab the 2.3.3 release and bring the pretty printer
> > back to 2.2.2 if this is what Tom's pretty printer does, otherwise,
> > is it a big deal to get the pretty printer I'm asking for?
>
> Specifically, you're asking that whitespace be not added to text nodes, but
> everywhere else... is that correct?  This would be fairly easy.

Right.  Whitespace shouldn't be added to nodes that only contain
character data.  Element nodes (nodes that only contain elements)
can be pretty-printed by addition of whitespace.

> Does anybody like the current pretty printer enough for me to not change it
> to Dossy's recommendation?  I think it's a pretty good idea.  Dossy, I'll
> change it and send you a patch.

Excellent!  That'd be great.  Could that also get thrown in the
contrib folder so I don't accidentally forget to copy from one
version to the next when I upgrade?  :-)

-- Dossy