On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Carlo E. Prelz <fluido / fluido.as> wrote:

> While I do not use unit tests (which constitute
> more code, and thus give you more occasions to drop in the occasional
> bug or two), I make sure my code can be tested in its functionality
> very often during development.

That does not seem to make sense to me: why would you advocate testing
but avoid providing automation?

> What I mean is that I don't see when you could need an undefined
> variable exception to be caught - more or less elegantly. An undefined
> variable should shout as loudly as it can, so that the code may be
> quickly corrected.

That reminds me of a paper which made this distinction between
biological and technical systems: biological systems try to limit the
impact of an error to allow the whole system to keep going on while in
technical systems we want to make errors prominent so they are easily
caught and can be remedied.  Because in technical systems errors which
go unnoticed can have catastrophic effects.  See here for example:
http://baselinescenario.com/2013/02/09/the-importance-of-excel/

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/