Well, if you want me to be explicit, I can.

Certainly if you accept arbitrary user input for parsing, you have an
automatic DOS vector by dint of sending a very large packet.  Fine.

But if someone can make a thousand connections, and over the course of
the thousand connections PERMANENTLY chew up 100k of member per
connection, you start of have a problem of a very different sort.

It is in that sense--the sense of a memory leak--that symbols are
different in this regard.

And before you come back with "don't do that", remember that the ability
to create arbitrary objects is a prime feature of YAML.  There needs to
be a way to scope that feature, and this is one option.