on the side-track in case the name has only one character then the word
'character' is usually written as character(s) rather than as an apostrophe
this visible abbreviation is a valid way to create two options.
to write it this way will (s) need to be escaped?
for singular and plural to be viable alternatives?
can (s) be escaped by either "\(s)" or " " ?
puts needs singular and plural pronouns and tense
to print 'there is one ,,' or else put 'there are..'