On 8 February 2013 06:39, Bruce Palmer <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Hassan Schroeder wrote in post #1095774:
> > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM, Bruce Palmer <lists / ruby-forum.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know what I was thinking before, brain fart perhaps, but I was
> >> unnecessarily converting back and forth between string and integer.
> >
> >> names = name1.length + name2.length + name3.length
> >
> > Or just:   (name1 + name2 + name3).length
> > Or:          [name1, name2, name3].join.length
> >
> >> puts 'There are ' + names.to_s + ' character\'s in your name!'
> >
> > Uh, there's no apostrophe in the plural of "character". FWIW.
> > (Sorry, personal pet peeve.)
>
> I caught this after doing it in, maybe 6 of my prior programs.
>
> I'm surprised nobody caught that sooner!

Well, we're not marking your assignments for you.  ;)

Here is another approach that is Rubyish, albeit slightly excessive:

    [name1, name2, name3].inject(0) {|sum, name| sum + name.length  }

--
  Matthew Kerwin, B.Sc (CompSci) (Hons)
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/

  "You'll never find a programming language that frees
  you from the burden of clarifying your ideas." - xkcd