I have started learning Ruby this past week and have down the basics of
loops, filters, strings, arrays, hashes, functions, etc.

Since I have no professional experience with the language, I figured I
would complete a few projects on my own and see if I can get hired
somewhere.

What kinds of small projects might a beginning Ruby programmer take on that
would demonstrate enough skill to get hired?  Is Ruby code enough or would
it have to be an actual Rails app?

p.s.  I have no idea how to deploy a rails application - environment seems
impossible to set up - yes I have followed more than 5 tutorials exactly.
 Prob doesn't help I'm on a Windows 64 bit machine as it seems certain dll
files and other things get messed up easily.

Colby