> Just curious, what gem were you using for this? There are a number of
> things that can affect the performance of JRuby gems (e.g. binding to
> poor-quality Java code, using JI instead of writing a Java extension)

If I use 'require' to bring in a jar file, and run the code from that,
is that using JI instead of Java extension?  I'm not quite sure on the
distinction and the implication.

I'm having great difficulty finding a suitable perlin/simplex noise
replacement.  But that might be something I'll just have to put up with
for the advantages of jruby, if indeed those advantages are worth it :)