On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 5:54 AM, Na Na <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> I did test JRuby out though.  I'm using a perlin noise gem that's been
> built as a c extension, and it's quite fast.  Unfortunately it didn't
> work with jruby, and a jruby compatible gem was significantly slower.

Just curious, what gem were you using for this? There are a number of
things that can affect the performance of JRuby gems (e.g. binding to
poor-quality Java code, using JI instead of writing a Java extension)

It looks like you probably want a gem that wraps this:

http://code.j3d.org/javadoc/org/j3d/texture/procedural/PerlinNoiseGenerator.html

I think you will have a lot easier time finding a fast way to generate
Perlin noise on JRuby than you will finding better garbage collection
solutions on MRI

--
Tony Arcieri