On 10/01/2013 14:44, Roger Pack wrote:
> On 12/28/12, John Sampson <jrs.idx / ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> On 28/12/2012 10:10, Rocky Bernstein wrote:
>>> ruby-debug on Windows and 1.9.x is a problem many people have. If you
>>> want strictly ruby-debug for Ruby 1.9.x the package you are looking for
>>> is ruby-debug19, not ruby-debug.
>>>

>> [snip]
>>
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> Ruby-debug19 doesn't install either.
>
> failure message?
>
>> I don't necessarily want ruby-debug but it is the debugger covered in
>> the Pickaxe book
>> which describes Ruby 1.9.
>>
>> Perhaps Windows programmers are seen as too intelligent to need debuggers.
>>
>> Meanwhile, is DevKit-4.5.0-20100819-1536-sfx.exe an appropriate version for
>> the current version of Ruby? I downloaded it from a third-party website.
> That should work, you can get a slightly newer version at rubyinstaller.org

This was some time ago, so I have forgotten what the failure message was.

Thanks for the info about Devkit.

I didn't pursue the matter of the debugger - for me the complexities of
getting a Ruby debugger
working on Windows 7 would be more trouble than they were worth.

Not having invested heavily in Ruby, I aim to move to a programming
environment that has a working debugger. This of course reflects my
particular aims and
circumstances.