On 1/10/13 9:26 AM, Jes?s Gabriel y Gal?n wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Carlos A. <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I am completely new to this whole affair (programming in general) and
>> was wondering whether Ruby (or Rails) is good to develop a  web
>> application which interfaces with APIs?
>> Sorry if its a silly question but I am completely new to this!
> Ruby is a programming language: you can program anything with it.
> Rails is a web framework written in Ruby: you develop web applications
> on top of it, in Ruby
>
> There are also other web frameworks that are very nice, like Sinatra,
> which could be great to start learning to program web applications.
>
> Jesus.

I definitely second Sinatra, it'll get you started without doing "too
much" for you, helping you understand what's going on. I may be a
purist, but I think you should first learn how to do things "the hard
way" instead of using a framework that does a lot of the work for you
(Rails, ASP.NET, etc.). I also recommend for your sake and the sake of
others that you explore the security issues surrounding web application
development. Don't become one more developer of vulnerable web apps!

Sinatra: http://www.sinatrarb.com/
OWASP Top 10 (Security):
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Top_Ten_Project

Definitely start with learning everything you can about your chosen
language (Ruby or otherwise). Pick up a good book, start with basic
programming, and then work your way towards web programming.

Best of luck,
Ryan Victory