I just discovered that my copy of Ruby is picky about what constitutes a
newline, equating it to 0x0A. A little testing showed that the problem was
that I compiled it with gcc. Had I compiled it with CodeWarrior, it would
have interpreted cr, lf or cr-lf as a newline. So it's gcc's fault but maybe
it's Ruby's problem.

Is this a practical problem worth dealing with? Does it warrant an RCR?

It's interesting, to me anyway, that gcc itself accepts any form of newline
in source files even though the  code it generates does not.
--
Some people say Windows users have an inferiority complex.
That's not true. It's not a complex.