On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Scott Macri <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to ruby and android.  I come from a Java background.  I'm going
> to attempt to create an android/ruby application to interface with my
> microcontroller (Adruino Uno).  Is this even possible with Ruby?  I
> recently discovered Ruboto, but not sure if it has the capability to
> access the usb/serialport on the android device (mobile phone).
>
> I also found the serialport gem, which I think can be used to access
> serialports on my computer, but not sure if it would work on my android
> device.
>
> Any information is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

You might want to ask on the JRuby list or a Ruboto list (if there is
one). My understanding though is that Ruboto gives you access to most
of the features Java gives you access to in Android. If not, you might
have more luck with Mirah (created by the creator of JRuby), which has
Ruby-like syntax but is static and compiles directly down to Java
bytecode.