In article <3ce04fdf / news.mhogaming.com>,
 Sean Russell <ser / germane-software.com> wrote:

> Chris wrote:
> >> I think it was B.Stroustrup who said that a worthy goal
> >> is to learn a new (computer) language every year...
> > I replied to a fairly recent "Python vs. Perl" thread on c.l.python,
> > with "learn both."  Unfortunately, the regulars there seem rather
>
> Yeah.  My problem with this is that my brain is only so big.  There's a
> difference, in my mind, between being able to hack out tiny applications in
> a language, and really "knowing" it... knowing the little tricks, knowing
> the pitfalls, being able to write something without having to look up every
> method call.  I can /investigate/ a language every year, but I can't
> /learn/ one every year.  Heck, if I don't use a particular Java API in a
> couple of weeks, I've got to pull up the API docs.
>
> I suppose I'm picking nits, and I'm not opposed to gratuitous education.
> However, given a limited number of hours in my day, I maintain that I can
> learn Ruby and get really good at it, or I can learn both Ruby and Python
> and be mediocre at both.  I'd rather be really good at one -- my
> applications look better.

Oh, that's perfectly understandable, and I can sympathize.  However, I
think you can be familiar with a number of languages(which might not
even amount to being able to write mediocre programs), and still
specialize in one.

It helps with the whole "perspective" thing.