I'm running into a problem trying to read a line of text that has some mult=
ibyte =0Acharacters gsub is failing. Is there a trick to finding and replac=
ing multibyte =0Acharacters? =0A=0AThe multibyte characters look like this =
in a text editor: =0A=0AWhen simple_soft_en =3D 1, this register=EDs conten=
ts are transmitted to the remote =0APHY in DME format.=0A=0AWhen I put this=
 into irb, this is what that text looks like: =0A=0A1.9.3-p194 :001 > theTe=
xt =3D "When simple_soft_en =3D 1, this =0Aregister\U+FFC3\U+FFADs contents=
 are transmitted to the remote PHY in DME =0Aformat."=0A =3D> "When simple_=
soft_en =3D 1, this registers contents are transmitted to the =0Aremote PHY=
 in DME format." =0A=0AWhen I run gsub on it, I see this error: =0A=0A/User=
s/wayneb/LSI_Scripts/RPG Scripts/ruby/axx5500/LSI_RPG_parse_55.rb:117: =0Ai=
nvalid multibyte char (US-ASCII)=0A=0AI'm using:  File.open(fileNameString,=
"rb"){|io|io.read}=0A=0Ato read the files. I found that when I used =0A=0A =
File.open(fileNameString,"r:UTF-8"){|io|io.read}=0A=0AI would get some fail=
ures opening up files, so I switched to ready the file in a =0Abinary form.=
 =0A=0AI'm a bit stumped at this point. =0A=0AWayne